Courtesy of SOCIAL MEDIA TODAY
Social media is not just a social instrument of communication. It is not all about people sharing ideas and thoughts with other people. It is the creation and exchange of ‘User Generated Content’. The ability to transform broadcast media monologues into a social media dialogues that spread, sometimes, faster and wider than television, radio or print. Social Media when compared to year 2009 shows a fantastic growth in terms of people participation, penetration, user-ability, business and more.
Now, we are almost at the end of year 2010, and therefore it is time to study and understand some of the Social Media facts and trends that were evolved and followed over the year. Scouting through the web has brought together the following list of Fascinating Social Media Facts. Most of these facts are based on surveys (online or offline) over a sample size, these are also mentioned to ensure that we get the perspective of each of these facts.
1. Australia has the most number of established users of social media in the world, followed by USA and UK.
2. In terms of the impact of social networks on advertising, word of mouth is the popular option with 78% of customers trust peer recommendations on sites. While, only 14% trust advertisements.
3. Advertising has also been impacted greatly because of social media with only 18% of traditional TV campaigns generate a positive return on investment.
4. Facebook, Blogspot followed by Myspace are the top sites visited by under 18s.
5. An average user becomes a fan of 2 pages every month.
6. 24 out of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing declines in circulations because the news reaches users in other formats.
7. 25% of search results for the world’s top 20 brands are linked to user-generated content.
8. *In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, 90% of participants know at least one social networking site.
9. * In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries,72% of participants of the internet population are active on at least 1 networking sites. The top 3 countries part of at least 1 network site was Brazil (95%), USA (84%), and Portugal (82%).
10. * In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, users of social networking sites are saturated. Connected people feel no need to further expand their membership on other social network sites.
11. * In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, on an average, users log in twice a day to social networking sites and 9 times a month on professional websites.
12. * In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, sending personal messages is the most popular online activity. The top 5 activities online are sending personal messages, watching photos, checking status, reacting to others’ status, and uploading pictures.
13. * In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, people have about 195 friends on an average.
• *Online sample survey of 2,884 consumers spread over 14 countries between the age of 18 to 55 years old by Online Media Gazette.
14. Facebook has over 500 million users.
15. If Facebook were a country, it would be the world’s 3rd largest country.
16. An average Facebook user spends about 55 minutes a day on the site.
17. An average Facebook user spends about 6.50 hours a week on the site.
18. The average Facebook user spends 1.20 days a month on the site.
19. Facebook’s translation application support over 100 languages.
20. There are over 900 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups, events and community pages)
21. Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
22. Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
23. More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.
24. ** In a sample survey of 2884 people across 14 countries, Facebook is studied to have the highest penetration. The top 3 sites include Facebook (51%), MySpace (20%), and Twitter (17%).
25. **Over 300,000 users translate the site through the translations application.
26. **Over 150 million people engage with Facebook on external websites every month.
27. **Two-thirds of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites are integrated with Facebook.
28. **There are over 100 million active users accessing Facebook currently through their mobile devices.
29. The most popular YouTube video – Justin Bieber, Baby ft. Ludacris has had over 374,403,983 views
30. ** YouTube receives over 2 billion viewers each day.
31. ** 24 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube by users every minute.
32. ** 70% of YouTube users are from the United States.
33. ** More than half of YouTube’s users are under the age of 20.
34. ** To watch all the videos currently on YouTube, a person has to live for around 1,000 years.
35. ** YouTube is available across 19 countries and in 12 languages.
36. ** Music videos account for 20% of uploads on YouTube.
• ** Statistics from YouTube press centre.
37. There are over 181 million blogs.
38. 34% of bloggers post opinions about products and brands.
39. ** The age group for 60% of bloggers is 18-44 years.
40. ** One in five bloggers updates their blogs every day.
41. ** Two thirds of bloggers are male.
42. ** Corporate blogging accounts for 14% of blogs.
43. ** 15% of bloggers spend 10 hours a week blogging.
44. ** More than half of all bloggers are married and/or parents.
45. ** More than 50% of bloggers have more than one blog.
• ** Statistics from Technorati’s State of the Blogosphere 2009.
46. 54% of bloggers post content or tweet on a daily basis.
47. 80% of Twitter users use Twitter on mobile devices.
48. There have been over 50 million tweets in 2010.
49. The 10 billionth Twitter’s tweet was posted in March 2010.
50. **There are over 110 million users of Twitter currently.
51. **180 million unique users access Twitter each month.
52. **More than 600 million searches happen on Twitter every day.
53. Of the 60 million users of LinkedIn half of them are from outside US.
54. By March 2010 Australia alone had over 1 million LinkedIn users.
55. 80% companies use LinkedIn as a recruitment tool.
56. **Every second a new member joins LinkedIn.
57. **Almost 12 million unique visitors visit LinkedIn every day.
58. ** LinkedIn has executives from all Fortune 500 companies.
59. **1-in-20 LinkedIn profiles are accounted by recruiter.
• ** Statistics from LinkedIn press centre and SysComm International.
60. If $1 was paid to you for every time an article was posted on Wikipedia, you would earn $156 per hour.
61. *Wikipedia has the maximum number of articles at 3 million articles. This is followed by, German (1.08 million), French (958,000), Italian (697,000), and Spanish (608,000).
62. **69% of users edit Wikipedia to fix errors.
63. **73% of Wikipedia users edit Wikipedia because they want to share knowledge.
64. **4.4% editors of Wikipedia’s are PhD’s, 19% of the editors hold master degrees.
65. **Bad weather usually results in more number of updates in Wikipedia.
66. **13% of the editors on Wikipedia are women.
67. Over the last first year of Foursquare, it has more than half a million users, 1.4 million venues, and 15.5 million check-ins.
68. * Foursquare is five times larger than Gowalla.
69. * Foursquare is growing 75% faster than Gowalla each day.
70. **Foursquare passed the 3 million users milestone in August 2010.
9. All Sources
• Online sample survey of 2,884 consumers spread over 14 countries between the age of 18 to 55 years old by Online Media Gazette.
• Danny Brown Resources
Sorav is a young entrepreneur started his Internet Marketing career at the age of 17. Sorav is amongst the pioneer of Social Media & Digital Marketing in India. He writes Social Media and Digital Marketing Blog and conduct Social Media Training and Workshops across various cities over the globe. Connect with Writer Sorav Jain on Twitter: @soravjain, Facebook, LinkedIn
- 10 Fashion Brands Using Social Media Effectively (simplyzesty.com)
- Reviewing Our 2010 B2B Social Media Predictions (socialmediab2b.com)
- Newly Relaunched Turnkey Program Helps Companies Pave the ‘Success Path’ in Social Media (prweb.com)
- Social Media Marketing: 5 Lessons From Business Leaders Who Get It (mashable.com)
- Finding Your Way Down the Social Media Marketing Path (blogs.constantcontact.com)
- Social Media Strategy for Nonprofits: 10 Potential Objectives for Using Social Media (windmillnetworking.com)